Docker network is based on the Container Network Model where libnetwork is docker's implementation. It provides single-host bridge network, multi-host overlays, options for plugging into existing VLAN, Service discovery and basic container load balancing.
Three build blocks
- Sandboxes - an isolated network stack
- Endpoints - virtual network interface
- Networks - software implementation switch
- docker implementation and more
- service discovery, ingress load balance, network control, and management plane